Price differential

Zara Mulberry Silk Shirt

A simple and decent silk button-down shirt for work is a rare find. Most high street labels go for the extra details that makes it… not your basic shirt anymore. Like embellishments at the collar, an unnecessary pocket at the chest, a little bit of lace — you get what I mean.

Browsing online, I saw a silk shirt from Zara Malaysia that would fit the bill. No gimmicks. Just so clean and feminine! The price point is a killer for a shirt from a high street name, though. I’ve been asking myself, “Should I?” for days now.

A little bit of research had led me to other Zara sites today. I’ve never thought of doing it, but today I finally compared prices between the different sites and was shocked at how much different the prices are across countries. For example, the MYR price of the shirt above is almost double the converted price in Spain or some parts of the EU. Before this, I really thought the price of the label is fair enough over here in Malaysia, compared to Singapore and Japan. Even compared to other similar high-street stores which had landed in Malaysia, a 70% mark up is too much!

I don’t think it’s solely because of duties or import taxes, but it’s understood that different retailers have different pricing strategies for different countries – charging what they can to take advantage of the demand and other underlying economic factors. However, I’m a little unwilling to get the shirt here at full price now, especially when the difference is so much.

Solutions? I suppose here’s where service of personal shoppers in the UK like ShopShip comes handy… or wait for the middle or end-season sale, since that’s what it is for anyway.

Nora
    March 6, 2012 at 7:12 PM

true. i went *GULP* everytime i enter zara KL. RM200 for a top = half of my car installment.=P
    one thing about zara UK is, the items sold out very fast =((((

March 6, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Sigh. Everything seems a lot lot cheaper on the UK site. Must visit Zara UK more often then!

Sabrina
    March 6, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Just like F21. You can get 3-4 garments + some accessories with 100 dollars. But here, F21 is consider high end to some people. 1 top can cost more than rm100… -_-”’

Yep, one of my friend said UK is one of the best place to shop for these brands. Mark & Spencer, topshop was a heaven there! Can wait to lay my feet there! <3

Anonymous
    March 7, 2012 at 1:24 PM

hello mia..:) just wanna ask, usually how much it will cost (delivery) if I want to buy smthing from ShopShip?

Anonymous
    March 7, 2012 at 5:50 PM

So true. Lucky I realized this before traveling to Spain last month and splurged (!!) at Zara while I was there. (Plus there was winter clearance sale everywhere there at that time) Even the new arrivals are sold at a fraction of Malaysian retail price. So worth it! 😀
    -S-

Love.Laugh.Life.Live
    March 9, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Hey mia, I also want to order something from shopship but the site is suspended and stuff..so I’m just wondering did u ordered this one via shopship oredy? cause I can’t go through it.It will be back right?

March 9, 2012 at 11:28 PM

@Sabrina I think F21 is overpriced here compared to the converted amount in the States AND for the (lack of) qualitys. UK’s awesome, especially during the sale!

@Anonymous I think it depends on the item you buy, so it varies. Best to check with them 🙂

@S I never realized how affordable Zara is in Spain until recently. Sure you had a great time – and it’s the winter clearance! If I ever go there, I know where to head now.

theaccidentalwife
    June 24, 2012 at 9:57 PM

true, zara is cheapest in spain. up to 40% cheaper for the normal priced items if i compare to the nl price. which is why barcelona will be our yearly destination, just for shopping 😛 i was shocked to see the price in zara malaysia as well. masa balik, i thought i nak beli zara stuff thinking it should be cheaper than netherlands, unfortunately klu i shop in nl tambah shipping pun it’s around 15 euros cheaper. shucks!

June 25, 2012 at 9:04 PM

Best gila pergi Barcelona annually just to shop. Cheaper by 40% is A LOT! I can’t imagine how the sale price is like in the Euro zone. Nak kirim next time, please?

theaccidentalwife
        June 27, 2012 at 12:03 AM

Boleh je klu u nk. tp i rasa klu i ship msia x berbaloi la dear. i baru hantar bju niece 30g haritu around €20 unregistered mail. i’m llucky dr sini flying to barca murah

June 27, 2012 at 7:34 PM

Oh laaa you live in Netherlands (so niceeee)! I thought you’re in KL. Okay yeah, if that’s the case, betul, tak berbaloi.