Working wardrobe: Suits

Suits

With a curated wardrobe in mind, my shopping habits have changed. I no longer buy things on impulse just because I’ve the extra cash to dispose. Every piece is a planned purchase and must fit into the whole theme of my wardrobe. Lately I’ve been concentrating more on clothes for work. I live in workwear for five days a week so it just makes sense to focus on them.

Recently I made it a point to wear suits instead of throwing in a random similar-colored pieces. There’s something about suits – apart from the impression of sleekness and confidence, I think they do have this ‘psychological’ effect on me. When I’m in a three-piece suit, I’m a little more confident and usually feel like being extra productive.

Finding them has been a pain though. Size has always been a problem. Mango and Zara have pretty decent choices for matching two-pieces and though I may look good in their blazers, there are usually some problems — either (i) they’re just too bloody expensive to begin with, (ii) the matching bottoms are plain ugly or (iii) the smallest-sized pants and skirts would drop off my waist.

When it comes to matching pants, I’ve been guilty of buying pants that are too big – I needed them so badly back then, but later I realized there’s absolutely NO POINT in buying something that doesn’t fit properly. Instead of making a person look sleek, they’ll make her look otherwise!

ASOS Skirt IASOS Skirt II
Skirts from ASOS.

After that I’ve switched to wearing skirts most of the time, buying black pieces from ASOS (the skirts are awesome for smaller ladies) that are appropriate and far more interesting than the plain ones that were supposed to complement the black blazers that I own.

I visited a department store one day and told the SA my concern of sizes. She immediately recommended that I try Padini, as they make clothes for more petite ladies. I went, tried these simple basic pieces on and was happy that I could fit both the blazers and skirts perfectly (though pants remain mission impossible)! I’ve bought at least three sets in different colors. It’s quite affordable, too. The quality’s okay so far and I love the fact that I don’t need to send it to the dry cleaners – just hand wash.

I now have at least five different sets of two-pieces and a couple of different skirts to wear for work. Suffice to say that I’ve reached my target for suits. I’ll be moving on to the next phase of my working wardrobe planning 🙂

See Net-A-Porter’s Workwear to get an idea of the basic pieces you may need in a workwear wardrobe.

Anonymous
    April 18, 2012 at 2:59 PM

After reading your post, I think I should curate my wardrobe too. Thank you for sharing. Next aim, you should organize your outdoor outfit or more simple and relax clothes too. 🙂

April 20, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Thanks for reading and my pleasure. I’ve got other areas of the working wardrobe to focus on, but a casual wardrobe is definitely the next phase of the plan 🙂

Suria Khamis
    April 19, 2012 at 8:45 AM

thanks for writing this post. i now feel i need to have more conscience in choosing my wardrobe pieces! 😀

Suria Khamis
    April 19, 2012 at 8:45 AM

Thanks for writing this post mia! i now have better conscience when choosing outfits for my wardrobe! 😀

April 20, 2012 at 11:06 AM

You’re welcome and that’s great to know, Suria 🙂 Spread awareness!

Tengku Mia
    April 19, 2012 at 9:57 AM

Thanks for the post about curated wardrobe. I’ve been wanting to do that to my clothes. Most of the things I own are from college/uni years, so not practical anymore!

Ah, corporate wear! Mango seems to work well with me, the only ones with pants that is long enough! I’m thinking of tailoring my pants. Have you tried Dressing Paula(in Pyramid)? They are quite nice.

April 20, 2012 at 11:34 PM

Hi Mia! You’re welcome.

Over the years, I’ve slowly moved away from college wear – true, not practical! It’s like the wardrobe needs to be reset once we move to the next phase.

Judging from how tall you are, I can imagine how challenging looking for pants is! If you find any decent tailors, let me know ah 🙂 Will check Dressing Paula out if I ever step into Pyramid. Thanks for the comment!

Sabrina
    April 19, 2012 at 12:40 PM

Blazer is an essential! <3

April 20, 2012 at 11:35 PM

With matching bottoms, too!

Anonymous
    April 26, 2012 at 7:57 AM

Hey gorgeous, I always see u at Kupang..can I have ur phone Num pls?:)-NanaFarhana-

nurul
    May 10, 2012 at 3:54 PM

hi mia,

just curious. by hand wash u mean u wash it like soak with soap, rinse and dry? u don’t use washing machine?

May 10, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Yeah. Soak with Dynamo, rinse and dry. The washing machine would ruin it kan?