In pursuit of a dusty pink modern kurung

Dusty Pink Fabrics

I had an appointment a few weeks ago at SACC Shah Alam. Since I was still looking for a modern kurung, I went into Salikin Sidek right after that. Fell in love at first sight with a dusty pink, chiffon kurung that was placed near the window display. It’s this light beadwork at the neck and sleeves, which consisted mostly of pearl beads. I love how chic and classy the work was — the combination of beads was perfect! The price was a letdown, though relatively cheap (apparently) than the more OTT dresses at the shops nearby.

So I went back home and thought about it for weeks. Since it’s so expensive, I had this idea that maybe it will stay on the rack a little longer… WRONG. Last week, out of curiosity, I called the boutique up and found out that it was sold a few weeks back T.T And if I were to request an exact copy, they could make me another one but it would only be ready weeks after raya and I had to bring my own fabric. Sigh, Well, at least it’s possible for me to cut cost there.

Just to get things done, I dragged my mum to Jakel Shah Alam to look for fabrics yesterday. Wise to bring a pro, when you have very limited experience in buying fabrics. I knew there were different types of chiffon, but I really can’t tell the difference! Went to the fourth floor (that’s where the chiffon silks are) and with the help of the store owner’s daughter and my mum, I got myself chiffon silk in the shade that I wanted, along with complementing silk lining.

Here’s the thing – the initial plan was to let Salikin Sidek add some beadwork on the neck and sleeves (if possible, I want the exact design as the kurung that got away). But however, my mum advised me to patch some lace to complement the fabric, since this type of chiffon might not be able to handle the beads. Now I’m really confused as to how I should make it. Ideas?

Hannah
    July 1, 2012 at 10:02 PM

Chiffon and lace compliment each other.. On the lace u can add simple beads to make it pop a bit.. Beads on chiffon don’t really work because chiffon tends to ..my mum would say, “tetas the kain and u can’t actually hang it, coz if the beads are too heavy, nanti kain tu makin panjang dan berat and go out of shape… ”
    What if u letak lace kat neckline and do three layers on the sleeves.. The chiffon itself, the lining and lace at the end of the sleeve.. Add some beads on the lace to enhance it..

July 2, 2012 at 8:24 PM

I never looked at it that way. Thanks Hannah! Come to think of it, your mom’s right and that’s exactly my mom’s concern too. The chiffon I bought is a bit too fragile for beads – over time I think it’ll stretch if I do that. I’m considering lace on the neckline and sleeves now, with minor beadwork.

adlynn naffi
    July 1, 2012 at 11:12 PM

yes, pearls are heavy, and it will make your chiffon looks kena tarik unless you put a tiny pearls. i have a dusty pink baju kurung moden and i patched it with silver lace. you can get solstis brand in jakel. expensive but nice. here’s mine- http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=3520368457032&set=a.1511579118554.214176.1506663893&type=3&theater

July 2, 2012 at 8:31 PM

You’re right. I’ve changed my mind about the beads and chiffon combo. I’ve checked out the lace from Solstiss before, just wondering whether it’ll be too much (and too expensive!) for me to wear casually. Can’t see that link you gave though, I’m blocked. Care to share the .jpeg file? 🙂

lala
    July 2, 2012 at 12:55 AM

i definitely vote for lace..gorgeous and stunning!you should try 🙂

July 2, 2012 at 8:31 PM

I’m leaning towards that now thanks to the awesome comments below 🙂

lala
        July 3, 2012 at 2:34 AM

oh sure..after you made up your mind which one you will choose..don’t forget to made a special post 🙂 can’t wait to see the final result 🙂

July 3, 2012 at 7:57 PM

Sure sure 🙂 Will take a while though. No tailors will want to accept my fabrics now!

• hannah
            July 4, 2012 at 4:20 PM

dunno if she would still accept orders, but if u wanna, try sending them to Rania@MontKiara .. tailoring/beadworks etc.. it does concierge tailoring as well.. let me know and i’ll email u details.

• miasuraya
            July 4, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Sounds good. Do you send your kain there?

• hannah
            July 5, 2012 at 6:34 AM

yup we do since last year.. introduced to them when they were involved in some fashion show here in kch.. they’d actually fly up to kch to collect our materials and discuss designs… and they’ll come again for the fitting.. pretty neat huh? (but i do think that this service would be included in the tailoring charges).. neways, the boutique is located at solaris mont kiara, above the mynews shop.. or buzz them at 036249577 for appointment.

shidaidris
    July 2, 2012 at 1:40 AM

lace and beads, cool. u can ask for zaza, beadmeplease (search at fb)

July 2, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Seen! Have you sent your clothes there before?

marrissa
    July 3, 2012 at 12:20 AM

how much the baju kurung at salikin cost, the one that was sold out? just checking the price range from the boutique before i pay them a visit 🙂

July 3, 2012 at 7:57 PM

Ready-to-wear kurung made of chiffon and intricate beading is quite expensive, at RM1200. One piece per beadwork design. However, if you bring your own material, basic tailoring for kurung starts at RM550.

Siti
    June 17, 2017 at 10:38 PM

I say go for the lace one!