The saturn necklace dilemma

doseiSCN9b

Once upon a time I was obsessed with Hana Yori Dango – from the drama to the manga. Although highly unrealistic, I’d wish that the story and characters were real. I know I wasn’t alone.

I’m sure every girl who had watched the series had at one point hoped that they’d find their own Domyouji Tsukasa. Handsome, influential, hardcore bully, cold-hearted and heir to a massive financial group in Japan who had turned soft over the first person who had stood up against him, Makino Tsukushi. Who didn’t want to be that girl?

A few years ago, I did. I’d also began plotting on getting my hands on the saturn necklace given by Domyouji to Makino. Domyouji was about to be sent away on a jet plane to New York by the iron lady that was his mother, in an attempt to separate the couple. There Makino was, running towards the plane, screaming in hopes of getting his attention before he leaves.

Oh, the drama.

Her running and screaming paid off. The plane stopped and he got off to meet her for a while. After a short session of confessing each other’s love, Domyouji handed Makino the necklace and put it on her. A highly symbolic moment in the show, it was.

I lusted for the necklace ever since. Due to my skills for hunting all things beautiful online, I’d managed to find the Japanese jeweler who makes it. It’s not a costume piece – the saturn itself is made of round Akoya pearl embellished with sapphire and tiny diamonds, while the chain is made of 18K gold. Costed a lot at the time so I opted to wait.

Today, I’ve the means to get it since I’m working, but I find myself wondering whether it’s the right thing to do.

makino

Watching the show again a few months ago made me realize that the Hana Yori Dango effect on me has died. Although I still enjoyed the series (and will fondly remember it as one of the best I’ve ever watched), it didn’t feel the same. No longer able to relate to the things that previously made sense in the show. No longer find Domyouji as endearing. No longer want to be that girl.

I guess this is the cost of growing up – you step out of fantasyland.

Back to the saturn necklace. It’s still on my mind because it’s something that my past self had hoped my present self would get. Reza’s coming home for good soon, so this might be my last chance to get the necklace. But, but, if it doesn’t hold as much significance as it once did, should I even go for it?

Similar to the Chanel bag dilemma, I don’t think I should.

bee
    March 2, 2013 at 11:19 PM

i love love love that show too!!! i watched both the japanese and korean version <3!

March 4, 2013 at 8:22 PM

High five! I watched the Korean version half-way though.

missnerd
    March 3, 2013 at 8:30 AM

Mia.. ur skills on hunting everything online amazed me…. Be my guru… Hehe

March 4, 2013 at 8:23 PM

Hahaha all you need is obsession and Google!

Tania Rashidi
    March 5, 2013 at 1:04 AM

I say get it! But only because I think the necklace is pretty and different. Hehe.

March 5, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Ala really? 🙁 You’re making me rethink now!

WaWa
    March 5, 2013 at 5:18 PM

I love HanaDan! It what made me a huge Arashi fan! I was in Japan when the movie came out, so I went nuts buying all the movie goods which I still keep and cherish to this day. :’) Fond memories of being the only foreigner lining up eager to get my hands on the goods! One of them was a pocket mirror in the form of Makino’s gold flip phone given to her by Domyouji! LOL!

March 12, 2013 at 11:40 PM

Hello fellow HanaDan fan! That’s so nice, you were there when it began! I remember wanting the gold flip phone dulu-dulu X) Walked along Yodobashi Camera trying to spot it.

Trisha Ferreras
    April 24, 2013 at 3:59 AM

“I lusted for the necklace ever since. Due to my skills for hunting all things beautiful online, I’d managed to find the Japanese jeweler who makes it.”

Where did you find the necklace? PLEASE PLEASE TELL ME!!

Josy
    June 25, 2013 at 9:47 PM

Hi! Where did you find the site where they sell them??