Wedding Diaries

Fabric for the nikah dress

I have a rough idea of how I want my solemnization dress to be — it would be a modified version of a dove grey piece designed by Rizalman that’s featured in one of the bridal magazines I’ve seen quite a while ago. Why modified? There’s no way I can afford Rizalman at this point. I tore that particular page with the dress off the magazine and have kept it in a clear file for future reference.

A few weeks back, I drove to the fabrics store, Jakel, with my brother, armed with the picture of the dress. The sales associate saw the picture that I had, analyzed it and took out a few patterns for me to consider. After trying this particular french lace out with complementing silk lining and chiffon, I thought I was set. I placed a deposit to lock the price and told the sales associate that I would return on a weekend where my mum is available. Although I’m paying, she knows a good deal about fabrics more than I do. I just needed the affirmation that I would be buying the right ones.

Thinking that it’s been too long since I made a deposit for the fabric, I returned to the store last weekend. My mum wasn’t around. So again, I dragged my poor brother to the store, ready to make the purchase. This time though, there was a confusion about the types of fabrics that was supposed to accompany the french lace. So the sales associate called my designer to confirm on the fabrics. The designer shared his ideas. Seemed like whatever it was that I picked was wrong!

I called my mum after that. She was on her way home from some conference in Singapore. She suggested that I return home, let her get ready and drive her there to see what it is I’ve picked. With that, I told the sales associate to hold on to whatever we pulled out of the shelves and wait for my return.

So I went back home and picked my mum up. Didn’t go to Jakel right away, we stopped by to meet my engagement dress designer (a few doors away), showed him the picture of that Rizalman dress and asked him whether the lace I chose earlier was appropriate. He said that the dress would be better off with a beaded french lace rather than a plain, because intricate beadwork on the lace would be too much of a work for a designer and will inflate the cost of tailoring. Which meant… that I’d to scratch whatever it is that I had picked and start looking again!

Once we were at the store, one of the Jakel crony  noticed my mum (her regular customer) and took over. Suddenly the mood changed!

She led us to the area where the french lace with beads were and instructed the sales associate to pick several different fabrics, after I showed her the picture of the dress. The fabrics that were presented to me were not cheap. I was a bit disappointed because I had a budget 1/3 of what she showed me. I kept asking my mum:

“Why don’t we just buy something plain and make the designer put beads?”

I was hesitant to pick.

That’s when my eyes laid on a champagne colored beaded lace. The Jakel crony took out the lining, heavy silk chiffon and lace that I had earlier picked and wrapped herself with it. She looked at the mirror for a while, like she was stunned at the result. It was really beautiful, I had to try it on, too! She offered me a really good price. Although it costs three times than what I’d wanted earlier, it looks ten times better!

Since I can’t afford the fabric yet, she told me that I can leave a deposit, consult with my designer on how much of the fabric I need and pay in full when I’m ready. They’ll keep it for me for the time being. I feel bad for busting the solemnization dress budget, but maybe my budget has been unrealistic for the dress that I want all these while.

It’s a good thing we consulted someone prior to purchase! To get my money’s worth… I just need to make sure that this solemnization dress is versatile enough to be worn elsewhere, over and over again.

Fara
    July 1, 2013 at 9:05 PM

Don’t go to Shah Alam jakel outlet, go to the KL one. The prices of the French lace (plain or beaded) vary between the two stores even if its the exact same piece. I nearly fell for it when I fell in love with an Elie Saab lace in Shah Alam which went for Rm650 (opening price). But I decided to look for a cheaper version in Jalan TAR but couldn’t find any, which led me to Jakel KL. the same Elie Saab’s opening price is *gasp* RM500!!!! But I managed to negotiate the price down to RM300. I made my mum asked one of the daughters in charge (since she’s a regular) why the big difference in price and she answered that the KL stock moves faster than Shah Alam and they managed to get the subsequent stock at cheaper price. Oh well, lesson learned!

July 1, 2013 at 9:13 PM

Oh goodness why T.T Thank you for letting me know, Fara. I’ve already booked, but now I’m curious to see how the price is like in KL.

flower
        July 2, 2013 at 1:42 PM

Go and have a look. Sekurang2 nya kalau sama harga, you have nothing to lose. A lot more to gain. Akak dulu beli my French Lace di Jeddah. Banyak pilihan and cheaper too. But that was like 16 years ago. I’ve been married for 14 years now 🙂

FaithFate
    July 1, 2013 at 9:24 PM

wouldn’t asna be disappointed since you are not using her design? =)

July 1, 2013 at 10:00 PM

Good question! I told her I’d incorporate some of her designs into my reception dress and she’s cool with it 🙂

Tania Rashidi
    July 1, 2013 at 9:51 PM

The picture of the fabric is really really pretty! I can’t wait to see how your baju turns out!

July 1, 2013 at 10:02 PM

Thanks, Tania. Won’t be as pretty as yours!

Anne
    July 1, 2013 at 11:13 PM

I bought the same a very similar lace from Jakel Shah Alam but the lace was pure white and the beads was light green. Fell in love with it as soon as I set my eyes on them 🙂

Anne
      July 1, 2013 at 11:15 PM

God, horrible grammar sorry. haha. I bought a very similar lace from Jakel Shah Alam for my solemnization dress but the lace was pure white and the beads were light green. Fell in love as soon as I set my eyes on them 🙂

July 2, 2013 at 8:03 AM

High five! I wanted something dove grey, but as as soon as I saw this, I was like, “Okay champagne is not bad, what?”

annfarah
    July 2, 2013 at 1:47 AM

o god. It sounds like there are many things to be done for engagement and wedding. Now, I am scared.

July 2, 2013 at 8:02 AM

Of course, although that really depends on how complex your family wants it to be hehe.

Hanie Hidayah
    July 2, 2013 at 1:47 AM

My trip to Jakel wasn’t fruitful, unfortunately. They kept showing me french laces that costs RM4000 per meter! I ended up paying for a designer dress that’s cheaper than that in the end lol

July 2, 2013 at 8:06 AM

When my mom came and the lady led me to another section, I knew what was coming! But, I was straightforward about the cost constraints (and reminded her that no, my mom wasn’t going to pay for me lol). Managed to get RM2500 per meter at RM1000+ ish. Which isn’t so bad since I only need a little for patching.

Nazneen Zainal
    July 5, 2013 at 9:03 PM

Gorgeous fabric! I’m sure your dress will be amazing!! and you will look even more stunning 🙂

October 15, 2013 at 12:53 AM