Wedding Diaries

Getting married: The ring

IMG_9938

After spending time discovering the kinds of rings I like, I settled for the ring about a fortnight ago. The search for the particular ring was like an adventure to me. I love it and have never been this obsessed over a piece of jewelry!

The story of the ring dates back to a year ago.

I was at the Malaysia International Jewelry Fair. Before we left the place, my mum and I dropped by the Habib booth to see if they have any setting (a setting is a ring without a center diamond for you noobs) that could complement the diamond that Reza had gotten me. Although I saw nothing that suited my liking, my mum picked out a setting and suggested that I try it. It was a peculiar setting that looked nothing like the rest that was on display. The ring was in white gold and had side stones in different shapes, surrounded by milgrain edges. I couldn’t decide whether this was a design inspired by a bygone era or whether it’s a ring with a modern twist.

I considered for a moment, but dismissed it. On the way home, I even questioned my mum’s taste.

For the purpose of getting a wedding ring, I’ve been visiting a couple of jewelry stores recently, to get ideas on what I might like. I planned to get my ring custom made and before I do, I figured that I needed to be inspired. At a Habib store in Shah Alam, I saw the most stunning ring in the store. It looked even better when worn.

“Hmm. This looks familiar.”

Wait… it was that exact design that my mum had suggested at the fair, only this has a diamond at the center. How did it become so nice?!

For record’s sake, I took plenty of pictures of it. It’s definitely something we could consider, I thought.

A fortnight ago, I was supposed to meet Reza for dinner at The Gardens. While waiting, I killed time by going into different jewelry stores (just in case you think I’m too into this, I stress that this is “research”) and learned that the setting of the ring I loved was available at the Habib store nearby. Was so excited. Post dinner, I dragged Reza there.

The enthusiastic sales associate placed a loose diamond on top of the setting and let me wear it. But the ring felt a bit off. I didn’t think it was as stunning as the time I tried the ring at Shah Alam. I thought to myself, “Is it because of the size size? Is it because the ring looks weird when the diamond is not properly set to the ring?”

When both of us returned to the store again on the weekend, I learned why the setting felt off. Although this ring had the same design as the ring I had seen, the side stones of the setting were not intricately decorated with the milgrain edges that I’ve come to appreciate. This setting at the store had a poorly crafted milgrain edge, making it look like an inferior copy to the ring that I previously saw and loved. The claw didn’t look as solid, either.

As you’d expect, the men couldn’t see the difference until I pointed it out. To illustrate:

Diamond Band
This is a diamond band.

Diamond Band with Milgrain Edges
This is a diamond band with milgrain edges.

Can you tell the difference?

I told the guy at Habib, that I only want a setting exactly like the ring I saw — its milgrain edges and claws were more refined than the one that he was holding. Without the details, the ring’s not the same. Since they didn’t have it, we left and I was a little disappointed, thinking it’s not meant to be.

T.T

We just exited the store and I was queueing for a Boost Juice when I received a call. The sales associate informed us that they’d found the setting that I had in mind, in their storage. Felt like the luckiest girl!

We went back to the store to discover, yes, it’s the setting that I’d yearned for, one with the delicate milgrain and solid claws, right in front of me and it was able to accommodate the size of our diamond. This was a sign! Reza, who had inspected the ring from the front to the side and loved it, approved and got it for me right away.

“Ni baru wedding ring!”

That was his words, not mine. If he’s happy, I’m happier!

Once we had decided, we left our loose diamond, to let them set it. For service’s sake, Habib accepted my engagement ring, too, which they’d polished, resized as well as replaced a tiny diamond (which had fell off) free of charge. I’m not sure if I would’ve been given the same degree of service elsewhere!

After more than a week of waiting, I’d just gotten back both the rings and have fallen in love with them once again. Last night, I tucked them under the pillow before I slept — that’s how attached I am to them.

When I told my mum that we’d picked the ring that she first suggested (and I dismissed) a year ago, at the fair, she said:

“See? I’ve got good taste.”

Eikha Z.
    September 13, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Gorgeouuuuusssssssssss!!!! And I know exactly what you’re talking about when I went for a hunt for my engagement ring. I got tiny diamonds around my band too and WHAT it can fall off?!!!???!! Geezz… Can’t wait to see your ring! So inspired to start looking for my wedding ring now after reading this post muahahaha. =p

September 13, 2013 at 9:59 PM

Yes, they are! Those are from Hearts on Fire.

Hunting for a ring can be a nice adventure, kan? Hehe. Yes, babe, the super tiny diamonds can fall off every now and then if you’re a little neglectful like me. I’ve been told my different jewelers that this is the case, especially if you wear it 24/7.

For your wedding ring, go get a certified diamond at the fair this before the end of the year, if sempat 😉

Eikha Z.
        September 17, 2013 at 11:15 AM

Wedding’s next year so definitely sempat, hehe. Is it this November? I’ve been surveying on different settings now and it’s so hard to imagine how it’d look like with a diamond. T_T Have you seen a solitaire under the microscope (I think that’s what it’s called)? Who knew a rock could look like a heart! I was so impressed, total noobsters haha.

Quick question! Is your band platinum or white gold? Mine is white gold and I’m not sure if it’s okay to be in contact with soap and lotion?

September 18, 2013 at 10:40 PM

Yes, I think it’s in November.

If you know the size of the diamond that you plan to buy, you can ask the SA to place a similar sized diamond onto the setting to get an idea of what it might look like with your stone.

Solitaire is a ring with a single stone. Are you referring to a round diamond? And I didn’t know it would look like a heart under a microscope! *noob high five*

My engagement ring is made of white gold. It comes in contact with soap and lotion since I’m a little neglectful, but when it gets too dirty I’d send it to the jeweler for cleaning.

Eikha Z.
            September 27, 2013 at 7:47 AM

Thanks Mia, will definitely check it out in November. 😀

We’re still contemplating on the size too, thinking of something a little more subtle as I’ll be wearing it everyday everywhere. And yes, I was referring to a solitaire, just not sure whether the tool is called microscope lol. It does look like a heart! Explains why it’s expensive I suppose.

I’ve been so conscious about not letting my ring terkena sabun and lotion, and it gets so tiring haha. Now that I know it won’t get ruined, just dirty, I guess I can take it a little bit easy and just get it cleaned when it’s due. 😀

Nazneen Zainal
    September 14, 2013 at 12:06 PM

Congratulations in advance Mia! When’s the big day? I’m sure it will be a beautiful wedding! xx

September 15, 2013 at 12:00 AM

Thanks Neen. Somewhere at the end of the year. I’ll give you a card if you’ll be around.

shida idris
    September 15, 2013 at 8:58 PM

omg…omg…the design even so simple but soo soo comel. hearts on fire is a best diamond ever *cries*

September 18, 2013 at 10:35 PM

But that’s not mine. I thought of a getting a band, but decided I’m a solitaire girl.