Wedding Diaries

Getting married: Reception lace

Spent my new year’s eve in Japan two years ago. We were walking somewhere near the Shibuya crossing. Wasn’t feeling too well and my head was beginning to ache. As I was complaining to Reza, my phone rang. It was a call from home.

It was my mum. She sounded overly excited on the other end of the receiver. She was at a fabrics store and had just found a nice lace fabric in dusty blue for my engagement dress, just as I’d requested.

“Awak nak dusty blue kan? The fabric fully beaded, really nice, very intricate. It’s Elie Saab!”

Mama was really keen on getting the whole four meters, especially when everything’s discounted at Jakel during the end of the year. Plus, they were also throwing in silk lining and fabric for men. Seeing how she was so into it, I gave her an OK.

After I put down the phone, I immediately told Reza:

“OMG my mum just got me Elie Saab lace to wear on the engagement day!”

We continued walking and he realized that my mood totally changed:

“What? Your mum call and cakap dah beli kain, terus hilang sakit kepala.”

-_-‘

When I saw it in real life for the first time, I wasn’t so sure about the lace. I mean, I did find it very beautiful — the beads and the pattern, there’s nothing quite like it! But I wondered whether the color’s right, whether the lace reflected my personality and whether it’d fit the design that I may want in the future. Also wondered whether it is really by Elie Saab, as claimed by Jakel.

The fabric never became part of my engagement dress, though, because we later decided that it’s a little OTT for an engagement ceremony. We decided that it would instead, be used for the reception.

Today, I’ve grown to love and fully appreciate the lace, up to the point where everything else revolves around it, like the theme. It’s hard for me to part with it, too and it was left with the dressmaker with a heavy heart. Elie Saab or not, my mum had hand-picked the lace and gotten it for me as a gift. To me, that matters the most.

Bananatan04
    October 20, 2013 at 4:20 PM

beautiful lace

October 22, 2013 at 8:15 PM

Thanks Panda.

Elie Saab
    October 24, 2013 at 2:14 AM

Hmmmmmmmm…. Same old, same old style of writing. Or should I say bragging?

You’re so funny. After reviewing the way you write things in your page here, and after hearing people talk in the office, I know in a way you’re trying to “show off” to your readers in a so called “humble” way lah konon that you’re gonna wear an Elie Saab’s. Although you did make a safe bet by saying it “maybe or maybe not”. haha. Well I’m sure you KNOW it’s not! Duh. You kan dah master sangat bab2 material things and branded items ni.. tak kan tak tahu kot? hahaha. Seriously babe, you’re actually making fun of yourself here. Boleh la nak cakap besar dengan orang2 yang tak tahu kan…..which I believe most of your readers memang tak tahu pun so that’s why you write things this way right.. To make it sound somewhat “classy” in every post of yours. haha very funny. For the people who know the real thing, knows Jakel didn’t use the real deal. Tak kan you tak tahu? Elie Saab has standards and I’m sure either you and your mom can’t afford it. Setakat gaji makan gaji berapa sangat lah. I bet Jakel people who fooled your mom say things like “MACAM Elie Saab”, but you take it as “it IS Elie Saab”…haha and then try to brag to your readers here that your ugly cheap lace is by Elie Saab just to sound classy and to cover it up so it doesn’t “look” cheap, though from this picture I can already tell that’s its cheap lace. haha. Poor you, your wedding dress looks cheap. Oh ya.. Elie Saab’s material is on sale? HAHA. Man you’re pathetic.

Btw, I’ve been reviewing your blog and the way you write and compare it with what they say… I can say that it’s true, hence why I leave such comment to give a conclusion of what I think about you, Mia. 😉

October 24, 2013 at 9:40 PM

Hello,

First and foremost, thank you for taking the time to dissect this blog and leave a long comment in the wee hours. I’m sorry if the post have made you feel as if I’m misrepresenting myself, but I’ll take this opportunity to address some of your comments.

To begin with, we’re not sure what to expect at the store most of the time. Whenever the owner of the store claims any fabric a designer fabric as she’s assisting us, we would, in good faith, take her words as neither of us are well-versed in the area and because she’s someone a customer would expect to be trustworthy.

When I first began to doubt its origins, I was a little disturbed not by the fact that it may not be a designer fabric, but the fact that we might have been taken advantage of. This was a point I wanted to make. But the biggest point I wanted to make was that I’ve concluded that it doesn’t matter. I love the fabric! I’ll be walking on the aisle on the day, wearing it proudly.

I also understand that taste is subjective, so the lace might not appeal to you and probably a lot of other people. I’m completely comfortable with that.

baitialjannati
        October 25, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Hmm, maybe we all can take a cue and be wary with what sales people tell us when they are trying to sell things to us. I did not know there are such things as a designer fabric and non-designer fabric, I thought all fabrics are just fabrics! Though I do know the quality would differ from one material to another and you have to touch and see it for yourself. It’s a lovely colour by the way, Mia. I’m sure your mom chose the BEST lace for you.

October 26, 2013 at 11:56 PM

Of course she did. Thanks, Baiti!

• ilovemom
            May 22, 2014 at 9:48 PM

i’m sure elie saab will be disappointed not with the lace (i love blue!) but with the commenter who used his name to throw hatred. i see nothing wrong with mia’s writings. i can’t smell “bragging” in her posts, unlike some other famous writers i’ve seen. even if her mom can’t afford elie saab, she can afford a whole world of love for her daughter. a four-metre of lace can’t beat a mom’s love.

What A Troll
      August 16, 2014 at 4:55 PM

What’s cheap here is your hatred-laden verbal vomit.

guest
    October 24, 2013 at 11:40 AM

i saw the controversial comment this morning but now its gone.