Asna Wedding Diaries

Still pelamin dilemma

Ari Pelamin Huge
All I want is just a single panel, accompanied by two white trees.

Less than a month and I haven’t gotten the reception pelamin settled. I know, I know, I should have gotten this sorted earlier.

Firstly, the hall that I’d booked for the wedding earlier this year comes with a package — the banquet hall comes with the catering, audio system and decoration. Having everything under one hall makes our lives a little simpler. Except that I’d prefer having another vendor handle the decoration.

I can’t simply get someone to decorate the hall, though.

The surcharge

The hall management tells me that I’ll need to pay a surcharge if I were to call and outside vendor to handle the decoration. The RM1500 fee was still a manageable sum, I thought.

The timeframe

So I approached a couple of decorators (including those that you guys have recommended). As soon as I told them where and when we’re going to hold the reception, they would either decline or be demotivated.

Here’s how it works. The hall I booked often lets two banquets run in a day — one in the afternoon and later, one in the evening. If your event is held in the afternoon, the external decorators can come in the night before the event and build the pelamin for you up to the wee hours (which I learned, is the norm). If your event is held at night, however, the decorators can only come in once the afternoon banquet has wrapped up. Which leaves them with only three hours to get everything done, before your guests arrive.

Because my reception will be held at night, the decorators think that they wouldn’t have enough time to build the pelamin and get everything done.

Possible solutions

Some have said that they can come to the hall and build the pelamin on the night before, but the pelamin would be hidden behind the curtains throughout the day and only unleashed in the evening. It’d be a little complicated though.

Others have told me that they could decorate the pelamin with fresh flowers and props within a few hours after the afternoon event ends, only they would still charge me as much as a three-panel hall pelamin.

Verdict

My mum tells me that I should just leverage on the existing hall decorator and says that the extra money is better spent traveling.

At this point, I figured that’s the better solution, too. Only I’d need to sit down with the decorator and clearly tell him what I want and what I don’t want and provide pictures for him to refer to. Probably book flowers, too, just in case we’d need more.

I was being melodramatic with Asna this morning:

“Asna, I’m sad. My pelamin is not going to be very nice.”

She was still on the computer, tilted her head toward me and said:

“But it’s cheap.”

I was annoyed.

“Which is more important? To have something beautiful or to have it cheap?”

This time, she stopped playing the computer and turned around, her whole body facing me. She looked at me in the eyes and firmly said:

“What’s more important, is money.”

“……”

WTF. Fine.

Akmall Razlan
    November 16, 2013 at 6:34 PM

aahhh.. well, that is good too. Spend money on vacation… so, win-win situation, I guess?

syasya
    November 16, 2013 at 6:41 PM

asna is so bright !

Farah Waheda Wahid
    November 16, 2013 at 6:44 PM

spend money for your vacation but I hope and pray that your pelamin will be nice, sweet and simple and good enuf to make you happy on your day…take care dear… awaiting for your wed entries….

November 17, 2013 at 11:19 PM

Thank you, Farah. Appreciate this!

Farhanah
    November 16, 2013 at 6:45 PM

Asna is so… wise!

“Life’s tough, Asnaaaa!”

The Unkempt Bloom | Hani Lutfi
    November 16, 2013 at 7:46 PM

I would totally have to split hairs to choose between a nice pelamin and an awesome vacation. A vacation to Italy sounds nicer than a pelamin though hehe :3

The Unkempt Bloom

Zalikha
    November 16, 2013 at 11:46 PM

haha! darn it! I am excited to see the final outocome of your pelamin verdict

November 22, 2013 at 11:29 PM

Well, you’ll see it soon haha.

Mimi
    November 17, 2013 at 5:09 PM

I suppose u r having it at DPF ? Cos I had the same dilemma then. Lucky for me the afternoon session was cancelled n I had no probs in terms of time. I leveraged on what the hall provided and just added /removed what I wanted or didn’t want. I added my own fresh flowers and those transparent vases on the dais and main table. It worked out really well with no surcharge ! Good luck !

November 17, 2013 at 11:21 PM

Yes, that’s the plan now. Leverage on what they provide and add-on whatever necessary. Good to know that it worked well for you and thank you for sharing. Now I’m a little contented.

Farah Adila
    November 17, 2013 at 11:13 PM

Hi… i’m assuming you’re going to have the wedding on one of the Felda’s hall.. i had my wedding in Merak Kayangan in September, and my wedding was at night. at 5pm…and we only have about 1 and a half hour. coz the guests starts coming at 630pm..THE FAMILY rushed to the hall and add on whatever necessary to make the pelamin cantek… we add 2 HUGE bouquet of flowers on the side..and add more flowers on whatever they have there…so Mia, just use whatever they give and add more things as you like to make it yours..

November 17, 2013 at 11:29 PM

Yes that’s right. Hmmm. I didn’t imagine the timeframe would be that short! Guess I’m going to have to set up a special committee just to look after the flowers and spice the pelamin up on the day. Thanks for sharing. Appreciate it!

Farah Adila
        November 19, 2013 at 5:10 PM

yup..that short because the previous event before me end at 430pm…Good luck Mia!