Wellbeing

My endometriosis story: Going for the surgery

[heading h=”h4″ font=””]Days leading to surgery[/heading]

Days before the surgery , I was in a bad shape. Because the pain was getting worse, I couldn’t walk straight. Months before, I was making fun of a friend who had slip discs for walking weird now it was my turn FML.

When the doctor first gave me the option of removing the cysts with a minor surgery, I told Reza. He asked:

“Are you okay with a surgery?”

“Yup. I’ll be rid of pain.”

He was also referring to the scar. I have a problem with scars. But I told him that the scar will be small — at least I’d get to look a little Spartan, you know (we just watched 300). I even told Reza that he didn’t need to be there at the hospital because it’ll be a minor surgery — I’ll be done before we know it.

Because of this, too, I told my family that it’s okay if they don’t come see me. My (real) dad, who learned the story late, was offended.

When I learned that I’d be going through a caesarean instead, the next day, I panicked a little. I asked the doctor:

“How’s the scar going to be?”

She wasn’t amused. At all.

“That should be the least of your concerns!”

HAHAHAHA.

At home I went on Google and looked up “caesarean section scars” which wasn’t the brightest idea. Some of the pictures were showing pictures of the incisions that went wrong. Spartan? More like Frankenstein.

I told Reza it would be great if he could accompany me for the three days I’ll be at the hospital.

Throughout this I kept my cool, but the night before the surgery and while everyone was asleep, I wondered whether I’d be okay with having my stomach cut.

[heading h=”h4″ font=””]On the day of the surgery[/heading]

Reza and Mama accompanied me to the hospital the next day. Checked into my room. In the afternoon the nurses prepped me up and I had to drop everything and wear only the patient gown.

Once it was time, the nurses came and pushed my bed to the preparation room. Inside the preparation room, they transferred me to the surgical bed — higher but smaller in width. There, it was cold since I was only wearing the surgery gown, but the nurse was kind to have given an extra layer of blanket.

After waiting, I was pushed into the operating room. It didn’t look like the ones in Grey’s Anatomy. Actually brighter and less intimidating. The lights of the operating theatre looked a lot like those in Theme Hospital, so I blurted out:

“This looks like Theme Hospital.”

The nurse turned:

“I’m sorry?”

“The lights look like the ones in the game Theme Hospital.”

She didn’t get it. I realized that I should just shut up and keep my thoughts to myself.

More and more people have begun entering the room. Anytime soon.

The anaesthesiologist (the doctor who puts people to sleep) came in. He’s going to put me to sleep soon. My fear, was waking up in the middle of a surgery, feeling every cut, but not being able to move. Like in the movie Awake. My other fear, is not being able to wake up at all. My aunt, who’s a doctor told me to mengucap prior to going to sleep and that scared me even more lol.

But I’ve been put under general anaesthetics (the thing that makes you sleep) previously and I survived, so I figured I’ll be fine.

They put a mask on my face. Inside it, gas. The last time, it took me less than ten seconds to pass out. This time, I forced my eyes open and told myself to stay awake, trying to beat the gas for the fun of it.

That was my last memory in the operating room.

fiza
    April 9, 2014 at 11:19 AM

here’s hoping everything went well at the OT and you are recovering. i had a c-section 3 years ago. and i only fully recovered after 2 years. please deter yourself from eating soy products – tauhu, air soya, tofu, taufufa – they are bad for our hormones. tempeh bole bcos it has gone through a fermentation process. jangan angkat benda berat2 k.

April 10, 2014 at 11:45 AM

Oh my two years to fully recover! Lamanya T.T OK thank you. I will keep that in mind.

ara
    April 9, 2014 at 5:26 PM

reading this part — ” I forced my eyes open and told myself to stay awake, trying to beat the gas for the fun of it. ”

That was exactly like my plan before! Beria nak lawan, hahahahahha

April 10, 2014 at 11:45 AM

Hahahaha high five! How long did you tahan?

Pixiep
    April 10, 2014 at 12:42 PM

when i had my emergency c-sect, the epidural didn’t work, and i actually felt it when my gynae cut me. the moment she pressed the knife on my tummy…i screamed!!! lps tu baru semua org hush hush and they gave me gas. and the anaesthesiologist did tell me “mengucap dulu ya”. i inhale then.. black out.

April 15, 2014 at 2:14 PM

Oh dang. Good thing you could scream… instead of being paralyzed. That would be a major nightmare!!! Thanks for sharing, at least I can tell people that I know this happens IRL haha 🙂

Pixiep
    April 10, 2014 at 12:42 PM

btw thanks for the styling pic of the pompon 🙂

April 15, 2014 at 2:14 PM

I still need to do a review, I think. Thanks for suggesting.

teratai
    April 13, 2014 at 12:33 PM

Walaupun minor operation, still kena jaga kesihatan. Take care ya 🙂

April 15, 2014 at 2:14 PM

Hajar
    April 16, 2014 at 8:57 AM

Mia, wishing you a fast recovery :). I know this is a bit out of topic but I just had to.

THEME HOSPITAL? *high five*

My sister and I used to play it all day long until my mom had to ‘confiscate’ our computer. Ah…those were the good old days..hehe

amirah
    April 9, 2017 at 10:35 PM

salam MIa,
    After reading this story, just wanna ask you a few questions.
    1) why the doctor did not suggested to do laparoscopic ovarian cyst instead of c sect?
    2) since you had your surgery at pantai, may i know how much does it cost you?
    i just discovered that i have a 12 cm cyst on my right ovary last week. done my check up at HUKM. now the pain keep coming and is there. our situation are more or less the same it’s just that i am not married yet. my mum urge me to go to private hospital to get more infos on my cyst. I plan to go to pantai cheras tomorrow as I couldnt wait for the blood test from HUKM this wednesday. im scared now because if i need to do the surgery asap, i may have to cncel my travel plan on this 30th T_T FML

May 17, 2017 at 10:15 PM

Salam Amirah. From what I understood, the whole of my ovary and some parts of its surrounding areas was covered by the growth. Hence the drastic measure 😐 It was covered by insurance, I can’t really remember the cost. Maybe 20-30k?

amirah
    April 9, 2017 at 11:01 PM

Mia it’s me Amirah, again… just finished read all the stories regarding the cyst. So the doctor removed your cyst and also your left ovary am I right?
    And for now after three years, how do you feel..does the cyst coming back?

May 17, 2017 at 10:16 PM

Nope, at the moment I’m good 🙂 I take BCPs to control it.