Daily Diaries

The chronic bitchface is still here

Related post: Chronic bitchface

Arrived in the morning. Not quite ready for the day. Entered the elevator and noticed Amanda going in, too. With her head slightly tilted down, she looked at me funny and asked (in front of everyone else who was in the elevator):

“Do you think you have a bitchy resting face?”

-_-‘

That can be added into the list of things one shouldn’t ask another in the morning.

The bitchy resting face is one of the things that’s flooding our newsfeed now, thanks to an article that’s being heavily shared.

I’m aware that I have, as Kris Atomic puts it, a chronic bitchface — I look pissed most of the time without needing to feel pissed. It’s a reason why some people leave me alone. I have never realized it more until I started working.

T once accidentally spilled curry on my outfit. Although in my head I dismissed it as an amusing incident, she got scared and began to avoid me, despite sitting at the workstation just opposite mine.

A once told me that she found my blog. I told her not to tell anybody about it because I didn’t want to not be taken seriously. She got scared and stopped talking to me.

Z just joined my team. According to him, whenever he needed my help back then, I’d give him a face. After that he got scared too.

H made fun of my face. This one time during a knowledge-sharing session inside the auditorium, he sent me a text asking why my face is always so, in his words, ketat. I sent him the chronic bitchface poster.

Not just my face, maybe I’m sometimes too blunt, which makes it worse. There were some things I might have said to my former team leader, M, too, which had him taken aback.

They’ve all become my good friends today, but each friendship didn’t blossom until a few months. I was told that the bitchface needed some getting used to… after that we’re fine lol.

After assessing my face in the mirror for a long time, I concluded that it’s my features — the way my eyebrows are arched, the way my eyes are slanted and the way my lips are curved. Together, they form a bitchface.

Being known as the girl with the bitchface is starting to become bothersome. Although I enjoy being left alone at times, it’s also disturbing to know that my default face ignites worry and fear. Since plastic surgery is not an option, I decided that maybe it’s time to adjust my default face by being on a higher degree of happiness.

But if I’m suddenly smiling all the time, I have a feeling that it’ll scare them even more.

Nora
    May 9, 2014 at 1:45 PM

i feel you Mia..my friends told me their first impression when they first saw me was i’m arrogant cos i have this unfriendly and arrogant air -___-“”,it’s kinda hard for me to make friend unless i’m the first one who say hi

nana
    May 9, 2014 at 3:46 PM

Same situation here. I have dont-mess-with-me face lol. My best friends said I was a sombong girl before they become my best friends.

Sabrina Tajudin
    May 9, 2014 at 5:13 PM

Oh my, I can relate. I started realize that when I stared my degree studies and now during my internship. I always wonder why people were like ignoring me and don’t want to talk to me. They always said that I have this “unwelcome” face. After a while they always spit out about “hey, I dulu igt you sombong and gedik, tkut nak tegur, nasib baik you tegur”. I was like whaat? I also love to sit alone while doing my work but I can also talk a lot. haha. bitchface has its pros and cons. But still until now I find hard to make friends and socializing. -_-

sushimalaya
    May 10, 2014 at 10:20 AM

LOL I have this too. People really thought I was an unfriendly little bitch and although my bitch face helps me get someone off my back, it can be very unhelpful when it comes to making friends. I guess people judge by the cover and if they took an initiative to talk to me they might discover that I’m quite nice and bubbly, so my best friends and their moms say (that I’m bubbly). There was this one time where a girl accidentally stepped on the back of my shoe to the point where it came off. I turned around just to see who it was but before I could tell her it’s okay, she hurriedly squatted down and put the shoe back on for me like I’m some Cinderella and quickly ran away. This happened in public and it was so embarrassing for me because I don’t want that particular incident make me look like an evil witch even though I can be when I want to.

aa
    May 10, 2014 at 1:17 PM

I have a default tired face. When i’m not tired but someone points out that i look tired, i automatically feel tired!

dils
    May 12, 2014 at 5:14 PM

Haha. I have one too. My friends in college now bff for life used to tell me they hate my guts during those first few years when they don’t know me because I have a very ‘sombong’ ‘you are beneath me’ face. I have no idea why. I don’t even dress the part.

Even in work I have the same problem where people are afraid to ask me questions. Guess we just live with it.

A
    May 13, 2014 at 2:19 PM

Met you several times. Been to your wedding. And I had the same thought as stated about you too. I thought you’re the arrogant type. Well, maybe if I know you better, I’d have different thoughts.

bananatan04
    May 13, 2014 at 11:25 PM

awwww….It’s just one of those sh** Amanda says. 🙂 I need a filter and…I also have a resting bitch face. don’t change! I’d be more scared if you changed!