Between the real and the fake

Spent the weekend reading about bags. Specifically, reading articles on authenticating bags, so I can shop in the pre-loved market for designer bags without getting duped.

In the process, I stumbled upon blogs written by bag lovers who are in support of counterfeits. The blogs question the logic of spending thousands on authentic goods when they copies cost so much less. The blog writers and readers interact with each other, sharing where they get counterfeit bags of the highest grade, later happily showing them off and proudly claiming that they can claim that their bags are the real thing to other people.

As someone who have lived thinking that only the real deal is acceptable, I was fascinated to see another group of people who are passionate in vouching for the opposite. I completely get the logic behind not spending thousands on bags — if spending that much on a bag is not financially feasible or a priority, I think it’s alright to buy any bag that you love (although I don’t quite understand the need to pass their bags as things they’re not).

Then I was reminded of the time I bought a fake Stam.

I was visiting in London. After being there for a couple of days, the Prada messenger that I was carrying became too small to accommodate the things I needed to carry e.g. wallet, passport, scarf, gloves, maps, guidebook, camera and water bottle. So I figured I needed a new bag, just for the time being. When my cousin, Mimi who was studying there brought us to the Paddington Market, I went looking for an affordable big bag.

The stall that was selling bags there were selling counterfeit it bags of those days — I recall seeing Spybags, Paddingtons and Stams. Although I wasn’t so keen on getting a fake bag, I desperately needed a bag and picked the one that I thought was the most appealing to me out of the lot, the fake Stam.

The bag was spacious and it could fit everything that I wanted to carry for throughout the trip.

Midway, I met a tall blonde lady on the tube who was standing beside the door, looking polished from head to toe. What do you know, she was carrying a real Stam. Hers looked more refined. It also looked different than the regular Stam, like a limited edition. There, she caught a glimpse of me and the “Stam” I was carrying. I immediately felt segan. I looked away.

I don’t usually care about what people may think of me, but although it was just a bag I bought to help me carry my things while I was there, the idea of having people notice that I was carrying a fake made me feel so bad.

As soon as I returned home, I used it for a while but since I still couldn’t live with it, I listed the bag on eBay. I sold it to a girl who told me that she was looking high and low for a lookalike Stam and now that she had found it, she loved it so much. Although the bag didn’t work out for me, it was the ideal bag for her.

At the end of the day, it’s up to one’s personal choice.

Over the years I’ve contemplated on my stance on this issue. I conclude that I am in support of the real thing — when I can’t afford designer bags, I bought bags from high street labels; now that I can, l hunt for authentic bags at the prices I’m comfortable with. Even if it meant waiting for years until the bag gets discontinued and securing it for much less than the retail price from the pre-loved market, like my real Stam.

But hey, that’s just me and I won’t pass judgement on other people who think otherwise.

Shahira
    June 7, 2015 at 10:09 PM

I have to agree with you when you say you felt bad carrying a fake bag. A few years ago, I bought a fake Marc Jacob tote bag just for the fun of it, but carrying it around made me feel a little off. I’ve never worn it ever since. I’m always so tempted by all these counterfeit branded bag simply for their cheap cheap price but the thought of having to tell other people that I’m carrying a fake bag, well I rather kumpul duit for the real deal. And yes, it is based on personal opinion, if you’re ok with it then takpela.

ilya
    June 7, 2015 at 11:48 PM

you are so humble and real. love reading your blog 🙂

June 22, 2015 at 8:36 PM

I’m not exactly humble, I actually think highly of myself hahahahaha JK JK but I do try to keep it real XD Thanks for reading!

shida idris
    June 8, 2015 at 8:57 AM

sama jugak dengan shida. seriously, shida mmg tak akan pakai fake products. shida rela beli beg yang mampu milik like mng, zara, charles and keith dari beli designer bag yang fake. lagipun dalam Islam rasanya melarang kita pakai fake products.

qiqi
    June 8, 2015 at 10:01 AM

last year i bought a fake prada bag. I went to a kenduri with it and masa nak balik tu my husband help aliff terlajak laris untuk keluar dari parking yg sempit..
    my husband ni always fascinated dgn org yg keluar TV so he asked to take a pic with aliff.. pastu aliff saw my handbag and said “Cantiknya prada awak!” i macam tersegan dan termalu hahahaha. pastu dah x pernah pakai lagi dah..

Liz
    June 8, 2015 at 10:25 AM

Love this post! My sentiments exactly, I can’t carry a fake bag, but I won’t pass judgment on those who have no problems with it.

Hani Lutfi
    June 8, 2015 at 8:36 PM

I agree. If you cannot afford a designer bag, buy something from a normal, highstreet brand.

Eikha
    June 9, 2015 at 7:29 AM

I remember reading about (I think it was) a pink bag that you returned after a few days of purchasing. Ada kan? Something about child labour..

bee
    June 9, 2015 at 7:41 AM

Hey mia!! Its been long time since I last dropped any comments here.. but hey,im still an avid reader of stripped! Hehe.. well about this issue, we’re in the same boat. Its just that if im desperate to get a new bag (i.e for work), then i’ll settle with a non-branded non-copycat ones (i.e korea made bag).. it just dont feel good to wear a fake ones tho ppl said that if u cant flaunt it,then fake it.. Haha

Zara
    June 9, 2015 at 7:34 PM

Hi Mia,

I’m thinking of getting a BBag, but not sure what to get lol cos there are so many options! For one, I don’t like bags that can’t be hung on my shoulder (don’t prefer toting my bag on the crook of my arm)…any recommendations Mia? Since you love BBags so much haha

Drama Queen
    June 12, 2015 at 2:19 PM

I feel the same way. It is all down to personal choice and for me personally, I feel proud carrying the real thing. I have not bought any fake items before and I don’t think I ever will. If I can’t afford it, then I’ll just dream about it instead of getting a fake. There’s just something not right about it to me but I don’t judge those who do. Love your blog

June 22, 2015 at 8:38 PM

YAY! Good to read comments by like-minds 😀

Eida
    June 24, 2015 at 7:56 AM

LOL — my thoughts exactly. Yup agreed – it is a personal choice.
    I love bags – but I am aware of my finances and I would only buy a bag that I can afford and love. I don’t believe in carrying fakes. There are a lot of bags from high street brands which can do the job. I rather look for unique bags rather than splurge for IT bags. I do get why ppl are drawn to fakes – at the end of the day — it is a personal choice.

Nadia
    January 10, 2016 at 10:08 PM

Those were the days when I earned less salary, I used to have fake bags. But I didn’t feel right when carrying it…. it was like… gaji kecik tapi pakai LV… Prada.. huhu.. So I stopped using it and bought Guess.. Charles n Keith.. etc.. But the problem with these bags.. after a awhile they started to peel. And now, Alhamdullillah ada rezeki… I managed to get MBMJ at 70% off at clearance sale…and also Anya Hindmarch’s Belvedere which I have been eyeing for so long at 50% off too during their sale at Westin Hotel last year!! Happy me. As for me, I will go for clearance sale tak kisah la whether the bags are out-dated or not 🙂